Sixty-two percent of the fleet executives Indicated they plan to place orders for Class 8 trucks in the next three months.
Sixty-two percent of the fleet executives responding to the first-quarter 2014 Fleet Sentiment survey conducted by CK Commercial Vehicle Research indicated they plan to place orders for Class 8 trucks in the next three months.
Forty-eight percent indicated they planned to place trailer orders.
Overall the CKCVR Buying Index, which combines activity and volume for both planned tractor and trailer orders, calculated to 112.0 the highest reading since the index was established in 2008. Details from the quarterly survey are published in the Fleet Sentiment Report www.ckcvr.com/fleet-sentiment
Other highlights from the Q1 2014 Fleet Sentiment survey:
· Planned orders for both power and trailers are primarily for replacement.
· Overall environment at the fleets surveyed is good
· Larger fleets more likely to be placing orders in early 2014
· The driver shortage continue to impact fleets of all sizes and vocations
· 79% of maintenance for the group responding is done in-house
· Truck pricing has varied influence on fleet buying plans
Fifty-two fleets participated in the Q1 2014 Fleet Sentiment Report Survey. They operate in excess of 39,000 Class 8 trucks and 96,000 trailers. Responses were received between January 14 and January 24. CK Commercial Vehicle Research has been surveying fleets for more than a decade and data reported in the Fleet Sentiment Report tracks activity from 2006. More information about the Fleet Sentiment Report and other CK Commercial Vehicle reporting can be found at www.ckcvr.com.